I am the Seinfeld of blogs. A blog about nothing. Genius!

Friday, October 15, 2010

Should I buy a lottery ticket?

A couple of years ago, my boss received a Laugh-A-Day calendar, the kind where you rip off a page every day and read a funny quote or movie line or something on that order. I saved the pages and use them as scratch paper or to write myself little notes (like "you look fantastic today!" or "stop stealing from the fridge and pay the damn $3 for the Diet Cokes.")

So today, I was writing myself a note of one of these little papers. When I was finished, I flipped it over to see what was on the other side. Oddly enough, it was a quote from a book I'm reading. And in fact, I had read that quote earlier today.

What does this mean? Should I buy a lottery ticket? Consult an astrologist? Hide in the basement? Prepare for the apocalypse?

As for right now, I think I'll have a drink and ponder some more...

And if you're wondering, here's the quote:
Regardless of the situation, for [my brother] it was always about the joke. A warm embrace, a heartfelt declaration of concern - in weakness we'd fall for these setups, vowing later to never trust him again. The last time I allowed my brother to hug me, I flew from Raleigh to New York oblivious to the sidn he'd slapped to the back of my sports coat, a nametag sticker read, "Hello, I'm Gay." The following the hilarity of our mother's funeral.
David Sedaris, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim

No comments:

Post a Comment